Thursday, March 25, 2010

Taoism

So I just had to take a test in my religion class about Taoism. It’s really interesting. Ever since I first learned about Taoism in high school my freshman year I have been interested in it. Well actually I used to hate it. It is not really a religion so much as a philosophy or a way of living your life and bettering yourself. One of the coolest, but also most frustrating, aspects of Taoism is the fact that you cannot define anything. Because if you define it you give it purpose and then limit the thing that you defined. Everything has endless possibilities. Who is just an average human to say what something, like a rock, is for or to do? Technically you aren’t supposed to name anything because even that limits it and gives it a specific purpose. It is a pretty chill way of living though. Of course it has it awesome saying that seems to too good to be true, or impractical to live by. But it also brings up a bunch of points that would honestly make life a lot chiller and more meaningful in my opinion if we lived by those sayings. Some points that Taoism brings up the fact that one should live for one not for others, to do what is right. And one of my personal favorites, not to make yourself look like a pompous ass by saying things over eloquently and things that you just don’t know what you are talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment